Have questions about rodent baits?
Read our library of Frequently Asked Questions to find immediate answers about rodent bait, pellets, bait types, time bait takes to work and more. Wondering about the danger to your pets from rodent bait? Get the rat bait answers you need. If you have a question not answered below, please feel free to contact us.
How Do They Work
How many pellets of the second-generation anticoagulants does it take to kill a rodent?
A: Usually only a few pellets will kill a mouse. For rats, usually 6-30 pellets are required. Both rats and mice will continue to feed for several days until they succumb to the effects of the poisons.
Will rodents leave the building to die?
A: Poisoned rodents may die anywhere, including in some very inconvenient areas. There is no evidence the rodents exit buildings "seeking water" and then die outside. Most times, poisoned rodents succumb in their nests.
How long does it take for rodent baits to work?
A: With Victor® Fast-Kill™ rodent baits, once a rodent has consumed a lethal dose, it will die in 12 hours to 2 days. Additionally, once the rodent consumes a lethal dose they will stop feeding which greatly reducing the risk of secondary poisoning. Victor® Multi-Kill™ baits will kill a rodent in 4 to 5 days.
What does it mean to see droppings the color of the bait?
A: Colored droppings indicate a rodent has ingested and digested the bait and its active ingredient. It takes several days for most bait to kill a rodent. Mice produce upwards of 50 or more droppings every day, rats 30-40. Thus, some droppings will be passed through the body containing the green, blue, or red dye of the rodent bait.
How To Use
Should I broadcast rodenticide bait pellets?
A: No, you should not broadcast (spread the loose pellets) the bait. If desired you can tear a corner on the bait pack, otherwise just place the pack in the desired location. Do not scatter the bait.
How often should the rodent baits be replaced?
A: Most recommendations suggest changing out rodent bait every 4-6 weeks. Very moldy or decayed baits are unattractive to rodents, and thus may not be any better than no baits at all.
Pets & Rodenticides
Will my pets be harmed if they eat mouse or rat poison?
A: Rodenticides can be harmful if ingested by domestic pets or non-target wildlife.
To prevent exposure use the following precautions:
- Store product that is not in use in a location out of reach of pets.
- Apply bait in locations that are out of reach of pets and other non-target wildlife, or use a bait station for the bait.
- Collect and dispose of any dead rodents and left over bait right away.
What should I do it my pet eats mouse or rat poison?
A: Call the poison control number located on the package immediately for more information. This information is required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to be on all rodent bait packages.
Is it important for baits to be stored away from chemical odors like Insecticidals, cleaning agents, etc.?
A: In some cases, it may be crucial. Rats can taste chemicals in their food in parts per billion. In infestations where rodents may have readily available food sources to them, they have the option of rejecting foods that have chemical tastes.