Seven Rat Facts that will Make You Cringe
Seven Rat Facts That Will Make You Cringe
(and why you need to get them out of your house!)
There are many ways to be a bad roommate: loud music, dirty dishes, late night parties.
But surely the most unwanted roomie is the rodent. Those who share their home with these pests can all agree on one thing: it’s time to give these creatures the boot.
So, adding a little fuel to the fire can’t hurt, right? These facts about rats are sure to ramp up your pest control game plan and – reader beware – likely gross you out.
- RAT FACT ONE: Rats carry at least 60 communicable diseases, including Hantavirus, leptospirosis, typhus and meningitis. Known to bite people when they’re sleeping, rats transfer diseases through saliva, including rat-bite fever which causes symptoms like fever, vomiting and joint pain and can be fatal if left untreated.
- RAT FACT TWO: Rats can tread water for three days and survive being flushed down a toilet. Worse, they can return to the building they were ‘flushed’ from via the same route.
- RAT FACT THREE: Rats can chew through electrical wires, cinderblocks and even lead pipes with their razor sharp teeth
- RAT FACT FOUR: A rat’s teeth grow five inches a year, only maintained by continuous grinding and gnawing to keep from outgrowing the rat’s mouth
- RAT FACT FIVE: A female rat can mate with as many as 500 partners during a six-hour period of “heat,” or sexual receptivity, which occurs about 15 times per year. That adds up to as many as 2,000 offspring in one year – unfortunate when your unwanted roommates are multiplying at a rapid fire pace
- RAT FACT SIX: Rats eat their own feces for nutritional value
- RAT FACT SEVEN: And one last particularly gross detail: Rats have belly buttons. Ew!
If these facts don’t compel you to reach for a rat trap, we don’t know what will.
Thankfully, Victor® makes rodent control simple with time-tested products and strategies to trap and kill household invaders. Take your pick of the world’s best rat control solutions with the help of Victor®!