Whether you’re overwhelmed by rodents or if you only have a minor issue, rodenticides are an effective and easy-to-use method to get rid of mice and rat intruders. Rodents are notorious for carrying diseases that are harmful to humans, so it is best to put your plan into effect before your small problem turns into a full blown infestation. Regardless of the level of your rodent issue, VictorⓇ has you covered with a variety of solutions and styles to suit all of your needs.
What Are Rodenticides?
Most people have heard of the different kinds of mouse traps, but many do not possess the same knowledge when it comes to rodenticides. Let’s fix that! Rodenticides are pesticides that are designed to kill rodents after they ingest a small amount. Many formulas contain ingredients that are high in protein or sugar which attracts mice to the bait block.
The active ingredients fall into two categories: anticoagulants and non-anticoagulants. With the latter, less bait needs to be consumed for the mice or rats to ingest a lethal amount, which means you can control more pests for less money!
Rodent Bait Formula
One of the most unique aspects of this product is the palatable bait formulation. The VictorⓇ Fast-KillⓇ Brand Bait Stations are so effective due to this formula, which attracts rodents by smell and keeps them chewing until they have consumed a lethal dose. Some of the ingredients, such as oats, have been left whole to appeal to rodents’ natural desire to gnaw. These aspects combined with the strong toxicity of bromethalin, the active ingredient, ensure a single dose kill.
How to Use Bait Stations
Knowing how to correctly use a rodenticide bait station is half the battle. Luckily, these products are simple to operate and come ready to use for your convenience. Here are a few steps to make sure you get the most out of your rodenticide.
- Remove the bait station from all packaging.
- Place bait station flat side down on the floor where you’ve seen signs of rodent activity.
- To minimize risk, choose a location inaccessible to children, pets, or domestic animals.
- If using more than one bait station, place them approximately 8 to 12 feet apart to maximize efficiency.
- Continue baiting until at least 4 days have passed without signs of new feeding activity.
- Check for rodents daily. Wearing gloves, collect and properly dispose of dead rodents and leftover bait.
How to Refill a Bait Station
- Hold bait station in both hands.
- Place pointer finger on back release tab.
- Push the release tab while squeezing front release tab(s) and pull front of station out.
- Put on the included gloves and remove a block from its package.
- Place one block on the holder post.
- Close station by sliding the front back into the housing until you hear it click.
How To Properly Dispose of Dead Rodent
As many home and business owners have discovered, mice and rats can invade homes, sheds, garages, and more through even the smallest of nooks and crannies. Rodenticides effectively eliminate the cause of your problem by killing mice and rats but they do not stop them from running off to die.
The trick is diligence. Check your bait stations daily to see if any has been eaten. If so, immediately survey your surroundings and begin looking for where they might have gone. Some could make it back to their nests but others might not get far and it is important to dispose of them properly before pets, children, or wildlife investigate. Follow these tips to safely dispose of any mice or rats that have fallen victim to your rodent control plan.
- Wear gloves to prevent potential of contracting a disease.
- Spray the area around the trap and where you found the mouse with disinfectant or a bleach and water mixture.
- Place the mouse in a sealable plastic bag and place that bag in another sealable bag.
- Throw bags with the mouse in the trash and secure the lid of the garbage can.
- Wash your gloved hands and throw them in the trash.
- Wash your hands without the gloves as well.
- Once your rodent problem is under control, seal any entrances these pests may have used to enter your home to prevent further infestations.
Have Any Rodent Control Stories?
We always want to hear about them! Visit our Facebook page to share how you solved your rodent issues or to ask any questions you may have. Stay up to date on all of our latest products and receive exclusive updates by signing up for our e-newsletter. For more useful tips and how-tos, visit our learning center to further your knowledge on mouse and rat proofing your property.
Solve Your Rodent Problems Today!
- Victor® PestChaser® Rodent Repellent With NightlightAs low as $25.99 Regular Price $34.49
- Victor® Scent-Away™ Natural Rodent Repeller PacksAs low as $11.49